Economic Research

Economic Research
  • Economic Research
  • Demographic Research
  • Special Studies
  • Library
 

Economic Research

Missouri and Regional Economic Reports

Information on Missouri’s economy, industry, workforce demographics, and employment projections for the state and each region.

Economic Diversity

A diversified economy is one with many industries that can better manage fluctuations in the business cycle. By contrast, a less diversified economy specializes in only a few industries. A balanced economy is more capable of absorbing an economic shock through the other industries present. The other industries, that are performing stronger economically, help to compensate for the loss, which helps maintain economic stability for that state.

Metropolitan GDP

These reports examine 2016 metropolitan exports as collected from the U.S. Department of Commerce. This data is based on the United States Principal Party in Interest (USPPI) address which is the person or entity that receives the monetary benefits from an export transaction. However, the product may not necessarily be produced in the same city.

 

Demographic Research

Daytime Population Estimates

The U.S. Census Bureau publishes population demographics based on data collected through the Decennial Census and annual American Community Survey. Decennial Census demographic profiles provide data on age and sex distributions, race, Hispanic or Latino origin, household relationship and type.

Select Population Reports

The U.S. Census Bureau publishes population demographics based on data collected through the Decennial Census and annual American Community Survey. Decennial Census demographic profiles provide data on age and sex distributions, race, Hispanic or Latino origin, household relationship and type.

Commuting Profiles

Workforce Commuting Profiles provide demographic and industry highlights for area workers as well as commuting patterns showing how people travel in, out, and around a region for employment.

 

Special Studies

Rural Missouri Asset Mapping

A Mapping Analysis of Demographic, Infrastructure, and Entreprenurial Resources in Rural Missouri

Women in the Workplace

There were over 1.41 million women in Missouri’s workforce in 2017, making up 48% of total Missouri employment. This report examines the role of women in Missouri’s workplaces based on occupations that are highly-represented by women compared to occupations that are more represented by men.

Missouri Hispanic Population in 2015

Missouri’s population of Hispanic or Latino Origin grew by 17.3 percent from 198,670 in 2010 to 233,046 in 2015.

Latino Entrepreneurs in Missouri

This report focuses exclusively on strategies to promote Latino entrepreneurship in Missouri. This research topic was chosen due to a convergence of three perspectives (economic, demographic and social welfare) which all indicate that entrepreneurship among Latinos is a positive force both for the Latino community and the Missouri economy.

Many Languages of Missouri

Approximately 94 percent of Missouri residents speak English only. The remaining 6 percent can be broken down into two groups: Residents whose primary language is something other than English, but can speak English very well, and residents that have a limited proficiency with the English language.

 

Economic Research Library

2010 Missouri Population

The 2010 Decennial Census publishes regional population demographics for ethnicity, race and age groups. This profile will feature county trends and statistics for the state of Missouri.

MERIC Library

Archived Research material in PDF form.

 Economic Focus